How To Know If It’s Time To Take Your Child To See An Allergy Specialist

As a parent, you are going to want to make sure that you are familiar with when it might be time to take your child to see a child medical specialist for allergies. If you are not yet sure, take a moment to read through some of the following things that you will want to watch for.

Rashes And Hives

Heat rashes can easily happen in younger children, especially if you have noticed that they have been getting overly hot during the warmer months of the year. However, if you have started to notice that your child is developing red rashes, whether they are raised or flat, you will want to seek medical care. The same goes for if your child has begun to get hives that are spreading all over the body and making it very uncomfortable for the child to do anything. If you are able to pinpoint exactly what it is that is causing such reactions of the skin, you will want to keep that substance away from your child and schedule an appointment with an allergy specialist.

Your Primary Care Doctor Doesn't Have Answers

If the rashes have only come and gone a couple of times and never got out of control, you will still want to visit with the child's primary care doctor. He or she will ask questions, perform an examination, and possibly send your children for some blood work. In some doctor's offices, the blood can be drawn right then and there during the visit and it will be sent off to a lab. If after all of that, your child's doctor is still not able to come up with a cause for the skin irritation that you have been noticing, you will be referred to an allergy specialist. In the meantime, your child may be given a prescription strength cream or lotion to use should the symptoms appear again before you have had your appointment with the allergy specialist.

Your Child Is Experiencing Unresolved Stomach Problems

The first guess many doctors make is that there is something wrong with the child's digestive system. However, if all of that has been ruled out and your child is still experiencing pains, it could be that the problem is nothing more than an allergic reaction to something he is eating or drinking. Talk with an allergy specialist to find out if this is indeed the case.

If you need help finding the best possible pediatric allergy specialist in your area, you can always talk to your child's primary doctor and ask for a referral. For more information, contact a business such as Southern Family Medicine Inc.